I am a mother. I am a wife. I am a sister, a daughter, an aunt, a cousin.
I am a scrapbooker.
I have always been artistic, it just took me a while to find my outlet. I sew, needlepoint, and draw. I also enjoy cooking and baking. I have dabbled in scrapbooking since high school by adding memorabilia to my pictures, but something was still missing.
I found modern scrapbooking after our first daughter was born and I have not looked back. I really do hope that someday, my children look at my scrapbooks and really get who I am and how much I love them. Within the last few years, I've been introduced to mixed media and well, the world will never be the same.
My husband of 12 years and I have two sweet little girls, aged 9 and 3. They are funny, sassy, sometimes naughty, silly, gorgeous, loving, bright, often cheerful, diva-esque little princesses, and they are the lights of my life. I am lucky to be married to my best friend; I swear, I love him more every day. In real life, I am a portrait and wedding photographer, but my true loves are all at home. :)
All materials copyright Genie Smith. Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Crafting for Christmas!

Hey, Flock! Genie here, and I'm starting to think about making Christmas gifts for my friends and family. I probably should have started months ago, but I guess I'm just not that prepared. ;)
If I can bear to part with it, this mixed media wood block will go to one of my aunts. I come from a very crafty family, and we have quite a few talented sewists. This idea has been bouncing around in my skull for a while, and the lovely colors in the Webster's Pages Spring Garden collection that came in my Flamingo Scraps Combination Warehouse Box were just what I needed to bring it to life. A complete list of products used will follow.
I started with a 12x12 wood block and haphazardly placed a few pieces of an old pattern on it with Mod Podge (when I use a pattern up, or lose pieces, or whatever, they go into a drawer to be used in mixed media--I love the look!). I tore a few pieces of the Webster's Pages and added those right on top, working them into the patterns for a lovely blend.
I mixed some teal Color Shine mist with some of the Mustard to make a lovely green, which I splattered on the Maya Road chipboard pieces with a paintbrush and then spritzed lightly on the surface of the patterns and papers.
It took some work to get the gorgeousm amazing, lovely, fabulous...(Oh, how I love those Webster's Trims!!) on the page, but with time and a LOT of Mod Podge, they stuck. ;) I wrapped some twine around my chipboard spools, stuck those down, added my text, and a Webster's fabric flower, and I was done. I really love the simplicity and muted color palette of this one! Thanks for looking, and I'll see you soon. :)

Items used:
From the box, I used some lovely Webster's Pages papers, trims and twine, from the Spring Market collection.
From my stash: alphabets, wood block, pattern pieces, and art mediums.

No comments: